Nommity

Another December, this one marks year #2 of successful ED-less life. I'm proud of myself for having done it on my own (with my husband's help, of course, but how can it be otherwise?), though it did take... several years. All in all, 12 years of my life I wish I could take back, but I suppose the old adage about not killing and making stronger still goes. Maybe I should have given professional help more chances than I did, but this is a whole other can of worms. Stubbornness and some sort of pride that resists help from anyone but those close to me, I'm an apple that didn't fall far from its tree. I suppose that the last vestiges of the time have something to do with my reluctance to cook most things that aren't salads or sandwiches, like I almost don't want to have a hand in making something I'll be eating. Or maybe I just don't like cooking :) Either way, it's something to get over at least somewhat. However, here's a good risotto recipe I like (although risotto is more fun to make without a recipe since so many things work well). Asparagus and lemon go together oh so well (no, asparagus is not "like green french fries", stfu TV mom).

Asparagus = ~1 lb
Lemon = 1
Butter = ~2 tbsp
Onion = 1 small/medium sized one
Rice = 1.5 cups (I just use whatever rice, Arborio or Carnaroli might be better)
Chicken broth = ~4-5 cups depending on the broth
White wine = 0.5 cups

Zest lemon, keep the zest. Juice the rest. Cut the asparagus spears, on the diagonal in ~1/4 inch slices works best. Finely dice the whole onion. Set the chicken broth to heat up, boiling is fine with the lid on.

Over medium heat, melt butter in a medium sized (~12 cups) saucepan, heavy bottom is best. Add onions, cook until soft and starting to go translucent. Add rice, stirring until translucent but before it browns (4-5 minutes). Stir the lemon zest into the rice, pour in the wine. Cook until the wine is absorbed, stirring. Add chicken broth to cover the rice. Cook until rice gets thick, don't forget to stir, add some salt (not too much now, best to add more later). Keep adding broth in this manner. After 12 or so minutes add asparagus. Keep the rice thick but not dry, may have to turn the heat down if the liquid is going away too quickly, otherwise the rice might turn out crunchy. Right before the rice is done, add half the lemon juice and butter, about 1 tablespoon. Stir vigorously to fluff up the rice, taste, add more salt and lemon juice if needed. Et voila.

posted under |

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
Thoughts about work and life.


Anonymous Questions Answered